Thursday, September 15, 2011

Indian Outfits

My husband's family is from India.  His father was back there not long ago and he brought me this fun tunic top that I wore to church on Sunday.  I'm not sure what to wear as pants with it!  It's a bit short for leggings.  Let me know if you have some ideas!  I wore the tunic top with Calvin Klein jeans and gold sandals.


Sunday we had the traditional celebration of "Onam" which is kind of like Thanksgiving in India.  They celebrate the bountiful harvest.  We have much to be thankful for, despite the bad growing conditions this year.  On the ground in front of me you can see the exciting display of flowers that they put up for several days to celebrate.  The metal thing has oil in it which they light.  Wikipedia had a slightly different explanation of Onam than what my family gave.  Wikipedia says that "is a festival celebrated by the people of KeralaIndia. It falls during the month of Chingam (August–September) and marks the homecoming of the legendary Emperor Mahabali. The festival lasts for ten days and is linked to many elements of Kerala's culture and tradition. Intricate flower carpets, elaborate banquet lunch, snake boat races, Puli Kali, and the Kaikottikkali dance all play a part in the festival. And it can be undoubtedly said that these elements constitute the diversity, colorfulness and richness that no other festival can claim."  My husband's family is Christian - Catholic and has been for generations.  This festival definitely has some hindu traditions intertwined.  I know this festival has more cultural than religious significance.

This outfit was given to my by my husband's cousin.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...